Tuesday 11 October 2016

I lied! It's walking Football

I know I said  in my next post (i.e this one) that I would write about the details of my own financial planning for retirement, but sitting here on a chilly October morning I have decided that I don't want to do that.  It's an important subject for sure but the beauty of retirement is surely being able to "go with the flow" and this morning finance is not flowing for me.  So sorry for the "misleading end" to my last post (a politician's way of saying "lie") but all will be rectified in my next post (promise!).

So what is the subject that has pushed mighty finance to the sidelines?  Observations on Trump v Clinton ?(any Americans out there I feel for you -320 million people and that's your choice), more existential angst about retirement?  No, the subject  I have to tell you about is... drum roll....WALKING FOOTBALL.

I can almost sense the gasps of excitement out there.  What, you ask, is this "walking football" that is deemed to be more exciting and important than financial planning for retirement?  Well, it's like football but you walk rather than run. Erm, I think that's it.

That is essentially it.  Designed for men and women over 50 who like football but don't want to be concussed, slide tackled or taking anti inflammatories for muscle and knee complaints, walking football is a brilliant idea. I went along sceptically as part of my get fit regime and have to say it was great.  Most of the guys there were in mid 50's and it was a real physical work out. Most surprising was how tactical it was and how much it still took out of you physically.  Of course the easiest way to get an advantage over others in walking football is to run.  Very much frowned upon and not allowed but very much in evidence especially when close to goal.  Encouragingly the group I played with had as its worst offender a 68 year old who who had a mischievous smile like a ten year old every time he got away with a little illegal run. Bad boy!

I just thought that whoever came up with the idea of walking football deserves real credit.  A really simple concept that gives a lot of older people a chance to still enjoy a game they used to play but which they believed was now no longer open to them.  I never was  that good at football and I was particularly bad at heading so I was ecstatic when I realised that heading and any overhead height kicking of the ball is disallowed.  In its infancy still, walking football is already growing fast with plenty of teams and competitions springing up all the time. 

I guess this will be my first recommendation.  If you like sport and you enjoyed football when you were younger, go find a walking football group near you.  Great fun and camaraderie- you will not be disappointed.  I would to love hear from anyone reading  this who already takes part.  Have you enjoyed it as much as I have.

OK enough fun and games- finance in next post-I promise. Bah humbug!
Till next time
John

http://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/

3 comments:

  1. Hi John, good to see you are enjoying your walking football. I have been playing for over 2 years now and never thought I would be kicking a ball and playing competitively at 71.

    Our club is Vintage Celtic from Tameside, Greater Manchester. Website is -
    http://walkingfootball-tameside-glossop.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there I shall check out your club. Coincidentally I stayed in Glossop for the first time this September. Lovely town, beautiful countryside and great people. I play with colchester united walking football http://www.cu-fc.com/news/article/2016-17/colchester-united-barnet-walking-football-september-2016-3316617.aspx
      There are some really good players. I'm not one of them but I am having lots of fun. North/south match one day? Encouraging that you are still playing and enjoying it at 71. Brilliant.

      Delete
  2. Hi John, good to see you are enjoying your walking football. I have been playing for over 2 years now and never thought I would be kicking a ball and playing competitively at 71.

    Our club is Vintage Celtic from Tameside, Greater Manchester. Website is -
    http://walkingfootball-tameside-glossop.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and I will aim to respond within a couple of days. Thanks.